From:
"Irena Arthur (OPS|schwanke)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 16:43:09 EDT
Hi Gang,
Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Just wanted to ask a question about bats
and rabies and to suggest a route to sanctuary for parents with biters.
Chelsea's progress is UNBELIEVABLE.

Bats and rabies: I found a baby bat that I believe fell from its mother
during their nightly escapades under my mothers steps about 2 years ago.  I
picked it up with gloves to avoid coming in contact with any- thing that it
might be carrying or infected with (I threw the gloves away later).  I took
it in the house and called every animal related agency I could think of and
each time was told that they could not advise me to keep the bat due to the
risk of rabies.  I told them "okay, you've advised me now tell me what to
do".  I had a fruit bad as a small child but I did not know what this bat
was or how old it was.  Needless to say no one gave me any advice and within
a couple of hours the little one died.  I was heart broken.  It was SO tiny.
I new the risks involved but I felt that it was my choice whether or not to
take it.  I have picked up more injured or lost animals than I can count in
my short 29 years and NEVER worried about rabies.  If I was bitten (and I
never have been) I would simply take the shots rather than have the animal
killed.  Who do you turn to at times like these?

I did not intend to keep the bat because it is against my beliefs to keep a
wild animal if it is fit to return to its natural habitat.

For parents of severe biters: If you have a SEVERE problem child.  When I
say SEVERE I mean a kid that leaves victims with 2 inch long, bloody gashes
in their wake.  Contact Kelleen or Troy Lynn.  Sorry I can't remember who
sent me the info but the two of them have helped me out so much that I can't
remember who it was.  I hope that I don't upset either of the ladies by
posting this information but when you have such a wealth of life saving info
you have to SHARE THE WEALTH!

Testimony of a happy parent with a funny twist: When I recieved the info
that I referred to I had already tried everything on the list of suggested
methods to no avail.  I was the only one who wanted anything to do with her
and that was only because I loved her (but I didn't LIKE her).  We used the
"LAST DITCH" method about 3 times the first weekend and about twice since
then (it has been about a month).  Chelsea still bites but no harder than
the other girls when they are playing.  I don't know if what I am doing is
right because I still allow her to nibble but I figure I can't let the
others nibble (when the five fingered octopus comes to get 'em) and not her.
At any rate she is 100% better and now I can love on her like the rest of
them without getting my lips pierced!  Now here's the twist.  Chelsea
attacked me the other day while Dexter and I were playing with his
extra-large squeaky toy.  Now an extra-large squeaky toy comes with an
extra-large squeak free of additional charge.  As instructed I administered
the LAST DITCH and all went well until last night!  Steve (big Goober) and
Dexter (Goober junior) were playing with his squeaky when Chelsea attacked
Steve with such a viciousness I have never seen from any ferret!  He had
long, deep "cuts" on his hands and arms.  We started to go over his actions
in the last few minutes before the attack on him (and myself the day before)
and concluded that the common denominator was THE SQUEAKY!  Steve being the
BIG DUMMY that he is said "she thinks I am hurting it"!  I went over and hit
and threw the squeaky with no response from Chelse.  Then Big Goober started
squeaking the ball again and once again Chelsea lost her mind and attacked
him again.  He thought it was SO funny but still felt I should discipline
her.  Which I promptly responded "weaner, she doesn't think you are hurting
it, that extra-large squeaky is hurting her extra sensitive ears!" The
goobers lost their squeaky priviledges for the night (daddy also got a titty
twister for not being more sensitive to our baby's feelings) and Chelsea got
a lot of loving from mom for her traumatic ordeal!

Don't give up on your little ones.  Chelsea is a different little girl and I
am SO glad I stuck it out instead of returning her to the shelter.  Many,
many thank you's to Kelleen and Troy Lynn (and all our other shelter moms
and dads) we never could have done it without you!!!

Sorry so long!

God Bless and love to all,
        Irena...Lucy, Chelsea, Rikki and Tabitha's mom