From:
Edward Lipinski Ferrets NorthWest FNW <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 01:17:17 -0700
Let me be as clear as I possibly can be and try to explain my absolute
fixation on learning as much as is humanly possible on the one troubling
aspect of ferret behavior.  The one aspect of ferret behavior that I
should like to focus is the relationship that is repeatedly demonstrated
between ferrets and human infants.  I cite particularly the Toronto case.

I should like to first put aside the oft cited "reason" of adult
incompetence; to put aside the excuse that, "Hey, not all ferrets go after
human infants," and to put aside the very negative conundrum that any
ferret will go after a human infant if the ferret is sufficiently hungry.

Please let's consider, at least initially,  only the following:

1.) What are the physical and social circumstances at the bite site?

2.) What deviations from the norm are evident upon examining the ferret
    externally?

3.) What deviations from the norm are evident upon examining the ferret
    internally?

4.) What are the precise architectual deformations at the bite site on
    the infant?

5.) Are lacerations always prevalent when preceeded by canine tooth
    punctures either at the leading or lagging end of the laceration?

6.) Is there any evidence of gnawing at the bite site(s)?

7.) Is there any evidence of the ferret attempting to drag or move the
    infant to a different location from its initial discovery site and
    are the wounds to the infant consistent with a dragging moment and
    the repeated ruptures of skin at a body extremity, such as the scalp,
    a hand (finger), or at a foot (toe)?

8.) Is there any evidence that the attempt to drag the infant is in or
    towards the direction where the ferret normally keeps and hides its
    cache of toys, food particles, soiled owner laundry, or other specific
    ferret "treasures?"

9.) Had the ferret demonstrated any highly curious attraction to the
    infant's cry or to the scent of the infant prior to its attack?

I would welcome your thoughts and suggestions for significant questions to
be posed in addition to the nine above.

I believe that progress in understanding this aspect of ferret/infant
behavior can be accomplished by first posing such questions as the
questions above, and secondly, by attempting to answer them for each and
every ferret/infant bite occurrence.  Further I would hope that if a
ferret/bite occurrence takes place in your immediate area, you would be
in there ferreting out as many answers to the above nine questions as you
can in the shortest time possible.  I should like to be the international
repository of such data and would most earnestly welcome submissions as
often as possible.

Does this approach to understanding ferret behavior seem right and sensible
to you?  If not, please indicate your reason(s) and counter with an
approach of your own.

Edward Lipinski,
Ferret Endowment for Research, Rehabilitation, Education & Training
Society, North West,  FERRETS NW.