From:
John Luck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:46:23 +1100
Hi all

Have been reading with interest the postings on Ferret treats.

Here in Australia we can't get any of the products mentioned.  However,
there are good alternatives.  My pair are 'fruit freaks'.  They just love
watermelon, cantaloupe, and best of all, mangos.  Our Vet, a ferret owner
himself, says that the fruit is not a problem and that there are a number
of things in fruit that are actually beneficial.

Our eldest recently suffered kidney failure.  After 3 days in hospital
on a 'drip' he seems to be doing well and putting on a little weight (he
lost 2.2 lbs.  Good thing he was a BIG ferret in the first place.  If our
little girl lost that much weight she would be -1lb).  Now he must have a
protein 'reduced' diet.  Its a bit of a balancing act between too much
protein and malnutrition but we seem to have it right.  Fruit is now a
large factor in his diet

John, Gizmo and Gadget