From:
Connie Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:54:31 EST
First I would like to thank everyone who sent cards and messages to us
during Butch's surgery.

His surgery lasted about an hour.  The vet described both his adrenals
as "atrophied" with the left adrenal as "non existent" to the point where
he had someone review the records to make sure that there was no prior
surgery.  He also found a yellow mass in his fat.  This was sent out for
analysis, the vet believes it's a 3rd adrenal gland.  He also removed a
"huge" and a "large" node from his pancreas and sent them out also.

I went to see him Thursday night and he refused to even look at me!  He'd
turn his head away and would squeak at me like he was telling me off.  I
held him about an hour and after 45 minutes he did put his head in the
crook of my neck but continued to face away from me.  It was breaking my
heart to see him this angry at me.

On Friday he had a slight fever so he stayed over until Saturday.  When I
came to get him he still wouldn't look at me, preferring to gaze lovingly
at the techs who had taken care of him instead of the evil Mom who
brought him to this place.  Now they are laughing at us.

The bruising is gone but he's still not moving around very quickly.  He's
eating his chicken baby food.  His BG was at 112 on Saturday, up from 50
when he arrived on Wednesday.  His pred dosage is down from 1.0 cc twice
a day to .10 cc once a day.

Maggie recovered pretty quickly from her surgery last year.  She was up
and running around within a couple of days.  Butch seems to be taking a
little longer.

Thanks again for the cards and notes, they meant a great deal to us.  CB
and Maggie are glad to have their brother home.  They were very angry at
me for not bringing him home like I promised Friday night.

Connie, Butch, Maggie, and CB

"I am sometimes asked, "Why do you spend so much of your time and money
talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?
I answer, "I am working at the roots."
George T.  Angell