From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 13 May 1994 14:46:16 -0400
FURO stands for Ferret Unity & Registration Organization, which publishes
a bi-monthly newsletter called the Weasel Help Monthly.  The WHM is
published out of Colorado; FURO's headquarters are in North Carolina.
You can find the address and phone number in the STAR*Ferret database,
which can be obtained by sending the message GET FERRET DATABASE to
[log in to unmask], or by downloading the file FSHLTR.TXT from
Library 11/Small Mammals Library of the Pets/Animal Forum on CompuServe
(GOT PETSFORU).

Other national ferret organizations are:

LIFE (League of Independent Ferret Organizations)
STAR*Ferrets (Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets)
AFA (American Ferret Association

These are also all listed in the STAR* list, along with many others.

As for the suggestion of Fara Shimbo as a national representative
connected with the FML -- this is not likely, as she publically disdains
the ferret electronic community (she has often made negative comments
about it in her editorials in the WHM), and unsubscribed from the FML more
than a year ago, rather vocally.

To the new person asking about the McDowell case, and who the McDowells
are -- I don't remember the issue number, but it first appeared in the FML
around Christmas time.  Troy Lynn Eckart, who recently subscribed to the
FML, has worked very closely with the McDowells and probably has the most
up-to-date information on the situation.

Michelle, let me add my belated congrats on the outcome of your radio blitz!

Effie Marie, hope you can rejoin us soon!

Bill Sebok, about your question about the Michigan bill, euthanasia and
bite reporting  -- I can understand your concern, but would point out that
"bite" is not defined in the piece presented.  I seriously doubt that
ferret owners would be likely to report every playful nip that occurs.
Seems to me that it would be more of a concern if a ferret nipped
a visitor (like in the McDowell case) -- I personally would be
very careful about any interactions between my ferrets and a
stranger/visitor.  It's also a good reason to make sure to vaccinate all
pet ferrets, and support the effort to raise money for a rabies shedding
study acceptable to the powers that be in the U.S.  I don't mean
to dismiss this concern, but if the Great Lakes Ferret Association is
willing to support this bill, that must count for something. <shrug>

Katie Fritz
CompuServe Small Mammals Section (S11) Co-Leader, Pets/Animals Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]   CompuServe: 71257,3153