From:
Diana Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:39:46 PST
I have heard mention several times of ferret coloring books available for
purchase.  In addition to my shelter I run a home based child care so I am
aways going through coloring books.  If anyone could point me in the right
direction I would love to order some. [Please see ad issue. BIG]

I have read a few posts on the possibility of some Mazuri food being
contaminated.  I have used it for over a year and not had any problems
until a week ago.  For those of you who did not catch the post, Lucy was
found on the bottom of her cage Sun the 15th.  She had bled out her rear
end.  Ghost her cage mate died 3 days later.  We got the intestinal
bleeding stopped and thought she was on the mend but she died Wed morning.
The post mortem showed blood in her thorax.  We took 5 tissue samples.  The
vet thought that they could have been exposed to rat poison as that would
hit fast and make them bleed as they were internally, but mice and rats are
not a problem where we live and it has never been used.  The thought that
someone went into the apartment, it was unlocked, was talked about but only
2 of the 4 in the cage got sick and all else appeared to be fine.  Now
dartanian is sick and a ferret that we boarded last week is sick.  Not to
the extent that Lucy and Ghost were but they stopped eating and drinking.
The vet did mention the possibility of food contamination but only in
passing.  Now after reading the post today, we threw away what was left in
their bowls and bag and got a new bag from the pet store.  I also called
their 1-800 number to see if there had been any problems.  We just need to
wait to see what the tissue samples show.

I hope that this is just an isolated thing and that it is not a bad batch
of food, but just in case, if you do use Mazuri, just keep a closed eye on
your fur children for a while.  I will post when I get the lab results.

TTFN,
Diana and The Ferret Farm