From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1993 04:48:00 -0400
Daisy--
         RE:  Ferretone

NOT!!!  _NO_ they don't NEED a teaspoon of Ferretone a day to keep from
going bald!  This is the _WORST_ of sales gimmicks!  It's bound to
contribute to the, "If a little bit is good, more must be better," type of
 theories!  A little bit of the stuff offered once in a while as a treat is
likely good for them (it is, after all, a vitamin supplement), but a
specific amount daily is certainly not required.  In fact, I've heard
concern expressed the product seems to contain excessive amounts of vitamin
A and could be bad news (though no one has ever bothered to back it up with
actual dosages that would be dangerous or lethal in ferrets for comparison).
It is worth noting that Ferretone does contain more Vitamin A than the
Linatone for Cats that some ferret owners use instead.  Also worth
mentioning is that Vitamin A is good for healthy skin-- except in overdoses.
When Vitamin A is present in overdose levels (at least in people), it
results in _poor_ skin quality!  The store would be better off promoting a
good quality kitten/cat food with a high percentage of protein and animal
protein listed first as their "elixir of health".  Poor daily diet is much
more likely to be responsible for ailments than lack of Ferretone!  Gee,
maybe I should tell my ferrets they'd better start losing their hair, the
pet store says they're overdue since they don't get their teaspoon of
Ferretone daily! ;>  ;> ;>   Maybe Bruce Williams will provide you with
actual numbers or references to refute these sales happy folks and you can
offer rebuttal....
                                Debra