From:
Lisa M Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 10:10:23 -0400
Hi to all the fuzzy families out there and prayers and hugs to all with
fuzzies at or approaching the Bridge.

It's been a while since I've posted, but this one caught my attention.
Yes, I have heard a ferret bark.  In fact, twice.

My Rosco was an abandon.  He and his two cagemates were found in the
middle of winter in a park starved almost to death.  Obviously, I didn't
know his history, but I assume someone had loved them completely, because
even in the situation they were in, none of them had any mistrust of
humans and gave kisses immediately upon being rescued.  How they got
where they were remains a mystery to me.  But, that being said, he was
not bonded to the other two and was probably at the bottom of the pecking
order thus, he was the last to get food.  I say this, because a few days
after I brought him home, I put a treat in the palm of my hand and
lowered it to him with Casper near by.  Rosco barked (scaring me almost
to death) and then lunged at the treat to take it - getting the palm of
my hand as well.  While trying to take the treat (and my hand) he barked
a couple more times.  I finally had no choice but to put him under
running water to get him off me.  Needless to say we worked on the treat
taking for a while after that!

The other bark came from my Casper.  He had just had surgery to remove a
hairball and had been on soft food for a while.  I finally gave him a
bowl of hard food to eat and Rosco came over to stick his head in the
bowl.  Casper barked and bit Rosco on the nose (removing a whisker while
he was at it).

So, yes, I have heard a ferret bark and I assume that they only do it
when really angry or scared.

On a separate note, funny ferret story.  My Stoney is the king of
stashing things.  If it isn't tied down, he will take it.  The other day
he and Toby were wrestling in the kitchen.  Suddenly it got strangely
quite and I turned to see Stoney had Toby by the top of the head and
was dragging him to his hiding spot.  I guess that was his way of saying
he'd had enough and it was time for Toby to be put away!

Lisa
Mom to Stoney, Toby and Meeko the ferret dog.  Missing Ozzie, Casper,
Rosco and Allie.