Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:07:06 EDT
I am already starting to get e-mails asking why I no longer support PETA
financially.  I don't want anyone to think I gave up on them without a
fight.  That is not true.

I called them long distance, and wrote them letters.  They have seen enough
abuse and heard enough lies to turn anyone bitter.  And I think that maybe
it has.

The conversations were clever.  The letters said more by what was implied
and not said.  This is not a Christian group abiding by the commandments.
I did not see it that way at all.

I believe that it is largely through PETA that Marshall Farms could not
do the puppy mill atrocities in France.  I am grateful.  Really grateful.
They have done some wonderful things, guys.

But their stance on the ferret issue with me was that they were going to
lie, leave things out, twist words, support false beliefs, and do whatever
it took to keep ferrets from being legalized in California, or recognized
as a domestic animal.

I cannot prove a word of that.  It was all carefully spoken and written
words.  And I UNDERSTAND this way of fighting for animal rights in a dog
eat dog world.

I personally, however, cannot financially support this way of fighting.

I hope those of you who love PETA understand.  I do not want the ferret to
become a popular pet .  I see what is going to happen down the road.  It
makes me sick.  But I will not make the ferret unpopular by deception.

I will probably do so in my own little corner of the universe by simply
speaking the truth.  This is not an easy being to care for.  Not for me.
And here is why

This is a terrible pet.  I feel that way strongly, and here is why.  But
IF you want a companion??????????????????

Then here may be the little one for you. And here is why.

Most people want an easy fun pet.  Not a childlike companion.

I can turn more people off of wanting a ferret through my Christian
heartfelt honesty than through lies.  And I do.  I am usually holding a
little one that is running errands with me, or that is playing in the
park, or that I am walking in the woods.

I love the ferret.  They deserve the truth to be told about them.  My truth
may be different from yours, as my truth is based on MY experiences.My
love.  My devotion.  And I make this clear in my conversations.  But these
tiny helpless beings do not deserve to be lied about.

Lisette