From:
Rebecca McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:06:57 -0500
Tuesday afternoon I received a call from one of the ferret vets over in the
PU Vet clinic.  They all know that my kids are on stand by in case a blood
transfusion is needed.  Seems a little girl had come in and was in bad
shape-needed a transfusion.  The vet was telling me about Dutchess, and
before she had finished with 'could one of your kids come and play' I
told her Muggles would be there.

The little girl, Dutchess, was a rescue from another city.  The folks who
had her had rescued two, and Dutchess had something seriously wrong.  Their
vet had worked with her, but couldn't get the problems solved, so they were
referred here.  I don't know who they are and I don't need to know-what I
know is, they were willing to try anything to save this little girl, and
they were more than willing to go the extra mile.  Muggles was in the
clinic within the hour.  I know he was confused-there he was, lounging in
his hammy, sees his mom, yawns, and I know he's thinking PLAYTIME.  Instead
he's rudely put into a carrier and into the car!  But the vets said he was
wonderful, they got the stick the first time so he wasn't out very long,
and when he came to he was nibbling everybody's fingers.  He got an extra
treat that night, and was showing off his little shaved spot to the girls
(what a ham).

The vet and I spoke yesterday and she said Dutchess was eating, her ears
had moved, but it was such a touch and go situation.  Too many things
wrong, she seemed to be in pretty bad shape, but we all remained hopeful-
the vet, the owners, and me.  I don't know what all was wrong, but do know
she was anemic, therefore the transfusion.  I told the vet I'd bring in
some chicken gravy for them to give her this morning, along with the food
they were feeding.  However, when I fired up the computer this morning I
found a note that Dutchess hadn't made it through the afternoon.

Sandy: I don't even know what color Dutchess is, but I know you'll find
her.  Please, could you get Bailey and Nibbles, maybe round up Sonya's
Renny, and have them chum up with her?  I don't know that Dutchess has
anyone there at the Bridge, so I think these three could meet her and
they'd all have fun.

I know that the vet who worked with Dutchess pulled out all the stops to
save her, and so did Dutchess' humans.  I applaud them all, they did all
they could, but fate threw a curve.  If you folks are members of the FML,
I salute you for what you did-you rescued two girls, you pulled out all
the stops to help them-myself, my family, and my fuzzies all applaud you.
May your other little girl stay healthy and happy, for she has found a
wonderful home.  There was a new star last night at the Bridge.

Rebecca & the Crew of Merry Mayhem
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste
 good with ketchup"