From:
Matt Staroscik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:42:16 -0700
I just saw a pretty absurd and irritating statement about ferrets being a
major carrier of rabies.  I first found the below text on answers.com,
but the original source seems to be MedicineNet.com.

Does anyone have good citations to send their way?  It seems very
misleading to put ferrets on a list like this... since wild ferrets are
nearly extinct and the incidence of rabies in pet ferrets is known to be
rare.

http://www.medicinenet.com/rabies/article.htm
http://www.answers.com/topic/rabies.

What animals carry rabies?
In the United States, domesticated dogs and cats are not primary carriers
of the rabies virus.  Rather, raccoons, skunks, foxes, bats, and ferrets
are more likely to harbor the disease and directly infect humans.  When
domesticated pets are infected, there may be a history of previous
interaction with these wild animals.

--
Matt Staroscik
[log in to unmask] | http://wrongcrowd.com