From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:24:34 -0700
>From:    Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
>
>(Right now Opossum is in our freezer).  I am hoping I can possibly
>convince her to have an autopsy done

I am sorry for your loss of Opposum.

Jen, by freezing the tissues, a necropsy will be impossible.  The cells
burst from the water in them, and they would be unrecognizable to the
pathologist.  The only benefit you might get would be if there was
something obviously wrong that could be seen by observation such as a
large tumor, a ruptured intestine or massive internal bleeding.

It is so important to think ahead of time, what you would want to do in
the event of an unexpected loss.  Often when it happens you are not
thinking clearly, and once you do start to function again, it is too
late.  Tissues need to be taken quickly after the little one's passing.

Especially in the unexpected and unexplainable losses, a necropsy can
give answers, alleviate feelings of guilt, and provide peace of mind.

If you don't have a place to bury Opossum, you might consider creamation.
Your vet should provide this service.

Julie

=====
Julie Fossa   (419) 225-8158
West Central Ohio Ferret Shelter

We are currently functioning as a placement and referral service.