From:
Jennifer Drueen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:30:54 -0500
>From: chris holley <[log in to unmask]>
>
>... I have an albino ferret named Sam.  For a while now he has been
>scratching and scratching himself.  He scratches so much that he leaves
>sores on himself.  Can anyone out there help me with this?  What can I
>do to help... Holli

I don't know how old Sam is, but it could be that he has mast cell tumors.
These are the second most common tumor of the skin are are nearly always
benign.  However, mast cell tumors contain histamines which can cause the
surrounding skin to itch to the point where the animal scratches its skin
raw.  You may want to check the area where he's scratching to see if you
see a small growth.  My Scout (7 years old) always seems to have at least
one.

Dr. C. Weiss told me to I just apply cortisone cream to the affected area
a couple of times a day and sure enough, the itching stopped and the skin
healed.  I don't know if these tumors "go away" over time, but Scout's
seem to disappear after a time.

Hope this helps,
Jennifer
(Scout, Kona, and Baxter)