From:
Lynn Foster or Chris Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:59:21 -0500
Dear FML:

We have had a very interesting week up here.  Meeka is now home and
finished her three days on sub q injections to clean up this kidney
problem.  Since I asked for info on the FML a number of responses came
with the same modes operandi.  A ferret with mild adrenal symptoms gets a
cold and it rapidly progresses to a bladder infection and kidney disease.
The outward symptoms look like very aggressive adrenal disease to a novice
ferret owner like myself in that she has raging thirst, no appetite and
lethargy.  I was sure the adrenal problem had flared big time and it was
not until we got the results of the basic blood test that we realized it
was kidney problems.  I had no idea she had a bladder infection but I did
know that Bill (teenage son) had a cold and that at about the same time (a
week or so ago, Koka also came down with the sniffles).  It manifested
itself in Meeka in the bladder infection.

Hopefully the kidney trouble is a part of that and we have cleared it up
with the fluid injections plus the anitbiotics she is on for bladder
infection.  The vet also observed an ulcer on the roof of her mouth and
that has cleared up also.

I am going to get the strips that you dip in the urine to tell you if the
ph is off and test her once a week from now on and I will be specially
vigilant when we have a flu or cold in the house.  Those of you with
adrenal ferrets might want to think about this as I had three other replies
to my first email that outlined the same path of this disease in their
ferrets with adrenal disease symptoms.  It can be easily reversed but you
need to be on top of what is really going on.

Meeka goes back this Wednesday for a follow-up blood test to see where her
BUN reading is at and I will keep you all posted.

Lynn (mom of Ferris <RB>, Meeka, Molly <RB>, Koka and Jezz)