From:
Michaela Maurice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 23:07:15 -0000
Walter died monday morning as I was walking out the door to bring him to be
euthanized.  He stopped eating on thursday and went progressively downhill
all weekend.  It was truly awful to watch him go like that.  He was such
a happy ferret.  He was deaf and came to me at 2 years old.  He had never
been with another ferret, but was curious and used to try and clean the
others' ears.  He wouldn't understand their responses and would run away
but he'd always come back and try again.  Mighty Mouse taught him how to be
a ferret and how to play 'jeans'.  Slowly but surely he became one of the
gang and would actively seek out the others to play or to sleep with.  He
was the most gentle ferret you'd ever have.  I never did understand the
posts about deaf ferrets being more aggressive.  Once, I was doing
something to him that he obviously didn't like but instead of nipping me
he simply placed his teeth around my finger - didn't even press down.  I
recall looking down and wondering what he was doing and why he just didn't
bite me hehe.  Though, watching him "kill" this stuffed turtle (one of his
favorite games) you'd be frightened (joke).  Just totally and completely
loving and gentle with humans.  He will be missed so deeply.  Both he and
Whitey brought such a happy carefree joy to the house.  Mighty Mouse is
truly lost without them (me too).  It's just not the same.

I just wanted to let everyone know.  Thanks to all who emailed me with kind
words, thoughts and suggestions.

Michaela Maurice, Bugsy and Mighty Mouse (missing and mourning for Whitey,
Walter and Spikey)
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ohio State University
Class of 2002