From:
Jenny Blum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:33:00 -0500
So My Zoey always scratches and bites at the cage constantly i swear
it's like she never sleeps! Let me first say that my ferrets ALWAYS get
plenty of time to run around outside of the cage... so much so that
they usually end up falling asleep in my bottom drawer of my dresser
that I cleared out so they can hide their "treasures" in! haha! Anyways
I've tried not acknowledging it and that clearly has not worked! I
have tried the bitter apply on the cage bars, and it definately did
not work! I've recently been putting her in "time-outs" in a smaller
carrier cage I have for maybe 10 minutes at a time until she calms
down and I put her back in her cage... she usually goes right back to
the bottom and starts scratching and biting at the cage again and this
process goes on for a little while! Once she has calmed down, and stops
scratching at the cage I let her and my other ferret, Mia, out. I know
that this means she wants to come out... but for 1. she will do this
before she has even went potty in her cage 2. Shouldn't I decide when
they come out? I was having a discussion on this one youtube video of
a ferret doing the same thing Zoey does... and somebody told me I have
been neglecting my ferrets. I was the only one who thought it was
unacceptable behavior, and everyone else was saying that this guy
should let his ferret out when he does that... Doesn't that just teach
the ferret that at any time of the day that he/she wants out she can
get it because of the constant scratching and biting at the bars?

Jenny
Zoey & Mia