From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:39:15 -0400
>From:    Judy Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
>But seriously, is it okay for him to play with the toad?  Could the toad
>hurt him-and I don't mean drag him off into the bushes and whip him
>senseless!  I know that some reptiles and amphibians secret harmful stuff.

Toads do indeed secrete some nasty tasting and irritating stuff from the
two big glands behind their head.  It's designed to keep them from being
eaten.  If you've ever seen a dog grab a toad, you probably also seen that
dog spit the toad out post haste and shake his head going "yuck yuck yucky
YUCK!".

I wouldn't let Tyson play with toads if you can help it.  It might not
really hurt him, but it will be very unpleasant for him if he gets that
secretion in his mouth.  It might make him sort of sick - I really don't
know, but better safe than sorry.  Sorry Tyson!

Toads won't give anyone warts - that's an old wives tale.

And while we're on the subject of herps, not only Komodo dragons but also
other male lizards as well as snakes have what are known as hemipenes.
Double your pleasure, double your fun... no, wait..  that's a gum
commercial... never mind.  Anyway, they have two, but they only use one at
a time.

Karen
Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures...
Remember when someone annoys you that it takes 42 muscles to frown,
but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them in the head.
;-)
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html