From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:46:04 -0500
Oliver and No. 421 were just finishing their supper when there was a
knock on the door. The Receiving Angel was there with a ticket in his
hand.

"Hi No. 421," he said. "I came myself because this is such a special
request. "We have a baby kit that is on her way here named Kendra, and
I just don't know how to deal with a baby. So I thought I would come
over and see what your thoughts were on this."

No. 421 looked at the angel and for a moment he was speechless.

"A baby" he said. "I'm going to greet a baby?"

"Well, yes," the Receiving Angel said. "This is a very special request,
this little girl is only 31/2 months old. She has family here, but she
is so little, she may need special help. When she gets a little older,
she can go to her great Grandpa Baron's Diablo,'s mound, but for now,
she will be here with you. Here is her ticket, she'll be crossing
soon."

No. 421 was in a pickle. He had never taken care of a baby before. He
hurried in to get Oliver and the two rushed up to the bridge. On the
way, No. 421 told Oliver about the kit and the two thought hard about
what to do.

No. 421 and Oliver had just settled themselves at the Bridge when they
heard someone sniffing. Oliver walked over to the bridge and there was
a beautiful baby ferret girl rubbing her eyes and crying.

Oliver took her paw and helped her off the bridge. He took her over to
No. 421 and she climbed up on his lap. "There there now, don't cry."
No. 421 said. "Tell me what your name is, maybe I can help you."

Between sobs, the little kit told No. 421 that her name was Kendra and
she was only 31/2 months old. "I ate my supper soup and I went to
sleep,"

Kendra said. "Then I woke up here, oh what am I going to do?" She burst
into sobs again.

No. 421 told Oliver to do something, anything to make her stop crying.
Oliver put her on his shoulders, but she only cried harder. He tried
making faces, he clapped his paws, but nothing seemed to work.

Over in the dog division, a lone husky named Kaos raised his head.
He sniffed the air and thought to himself, someone from Momma Debi's
house has arrived. He called over the hedge to Baron's Diablo who
lived at the edge of the Field of Dreams that someone from their home
had arrived. Baron's Diablo rushed to the bridge and asked No. 421 who
the little girl was and did she come from Momma Debi's?"

No. 421 checked the ticket and told Baron's Diablo that this little
girl was one of Debi's kits, and that her name was Kendra.

"Hey Kendra," Baron's Diablo said. "I'm your great Grandpa, and I've
been waiting here for you. Kaos told me you were here, and I rushed
right up to see if he was right.

Great Grandpa picked little Kendra up and held her close. She was such
a doll.

"I tell you what we can do," Grandpa told Kendra. "You can come and
live with me. I'll put you in daycare at the FuzzyLoving Lane nursery.
I'll bring you home every night and you can have supper with me. That
way, you will learn how to be a real ferret days, and be home with
family every night"

For the first time since she arrived, little Kendra smiled. She dooked
a little dook and asked her grandpa for his hanky. After wiping her
nose, she hugged him and told him she would be the best little kit
ever. The two ferrets walked down the path to grandpa's cottage, and
Oliver and No. 421 breathed a sigh.

"What would we ever do with a baby," Oliver said. Do they ever do
anything but cry?"

No. 421 assured him they did. "And some day, she will grow up and be
a beautiful ferret girl," No. 421 said. "Let's go home and go to bed,
it's been a real long day."

The two friends went home, and while Oliver took a shower, No. 421
wrote in his logbook. Mission accomplished, and Boss, thank you for
everything. I honestly don't know how I would have managed a baby."

Oliver climbed into bed and No. 421 blew out the lamp.