From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 13:08:11 -0500
If a ferret shows a sudden and large change in behavior -- like the one who
just began biting after two years, or one which becomes very dependent, or
one who loses energy, etc.  then GET THE FERRET TO A VET.  A sudden large
behavior change can indicate a hidden health problem which needs care.
Biting suddenly -- or holding a big toes in the mouth which is something
Meeteetse does ONLY when sick -- can indicate pain.

Our fridge has a cage around its bottom -- not joking since we used actual
caging and it's got attachments to the legs of the fridge so it can be
easily removed for cleaning -- great for allowing the necessary circulation
and completely effective.  Even met the approval of the certified repair
person beforehand!

Two things which are IMPORTANT to know: since people never see behind
stoves it is NOT unusual for there to be a gaping hole there for
electricity or gas.  In the past FML people have had ferrets get into those
holes.  Also remember that any stove solution must be NOT be flammable!

Don't forget to protect any place you keep cleaning products.

Check the rubber "molding" around the base of the cabinets.  Many kitchens
have some spaces into which ferrets can get by climbing over this.  We have
two.  Fortunately, neither contains anything which can hurt the ferrets or
visa versa and no holes, plus the rubber pieces can be bent back to see
into the areas with a flashlight so we let them use them.  They love
playing with jingle balls in them -- ricochet city.

Get on the floor; actually lie down on it, and look around for a ferret
vantage point.

I really liked Kevin's point yesterday about how vets could become upset
with shelters in general if they got stiffed by any.  It was an example of
noticing a very important aspect of a problems which had gone unnoticed.

People who do not get permission from the authors before using their work
or their names are simply showing a very callous and inconsiderate lack of
respect as well as a lack of knowledge about copyrights.  I view it as a
very good indicator of who might be either someone who needs to learn (which
is okay since we all regularly have to learn and correct ourselves --
otherwise we'd be either senile or dead), or someone continues and shows
that he or she has chosen to be a jerk who is therefore best avoided.