Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 10:16:34 -0400
RE:
>My mom's cat had a thyroid problem and instead of taking medicine or
>attempting surgery (which is not effective on most), the vet informed her
>of a new option which she had done at the one place this side of the
>mountains in Washington.  The treatment involved an injection of some
>type of fluid into the cat and then radiation which shrinks the tumor
>permanently.  Apparently they have had a huge success rate with this.  I
>am sure it was VERY expensive.  What is this and has anyone heard of it?
>Is it something that might work in ferrets for tumors?

I do not know about this for cats/ferrets but a similar treatment is used
on humans!  And it is very effective, no surgery method that is actually
cheaper (than surgery) not to mention much less painful.  I have a
condition that is known as Graves Disease (Hyperactive thyroid) and this
is considered the prime treatment if medication can not cause it to go into
remission (which mine did).  They give you a dose of radioactive iodine
(iodine is taken up into the thyroid) and try to dose you so that only the
right amount of your thyroid is "killed" off leaving some so that your body
will continue to produce what you need.  I don't know why this wouldn't
work on cats or ferrets in appropriate amounts.  I'll be interested to hear
also if any of the vets have anything to say about it.

Karla