From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 00:13:30 +0800
>BUT, in the interests of not spreading the disease, it seems that ADV
>positive ferrets should NOT be allowed to attend shows, unless it can be
>accomplished in such a way that is 100% guaranteed to ensure the health
>of all other animals in attendance.

But what about the health of the other ferrets at the show?  Are you sure
they are not ADV positive?

>As sympathetic as we as individuals might be to those inflicted with ADV
>in their ferretries/shelters/colonies, as an organization we must
>unilaterally stand for the protection of ferrets.  We can't compromise on
>that one, I don't think.

Exactly - so do not do it halfway.  Make the testing required for ALL
FERRETS AT THE SHOW!

>Unfortunately it will look as though we are being prejudiced and you
>know you will run into the questions of why others are there, etc.

This is EXACTLY what has happened . . .

>A show of this nature, draws not just seasoned ferret owners who know the
>ropes but newcomers and the curious.

All the more reason you would not know if these new folks have ADV
positives.  All the more reason ALL ferrets should be tested to enter the
show.

>In light of that I feel it is infinitely better to hear it from one or two
>individuals than to (a) take the chance of infecting many and spreading
>the disease or (b) having the people blame the sanctioning organization
>for allowing ADV+ ferrets there and/ having someone coming away infected.

After reading this, how can you not see that only making "known" positive
test and not everybody?

>Since not much is known yet about the strains or shedding period, this
>disease opens a whole new can of worms.

Another statement that supports the testing of ALL ferrets.

>Many show participants have no idea that certain persons have had ADV
>positive ferrets in their households and many people have no idea what ADV
>is and what the dangers may be.  I know there will be many new ferret
>people in attendance.

And another.

>I would not want AFA to take on the responsibility of exposing some one's
>ferrets to ADV.

And another.

>I think it is only right that they bring proof of negative testing for all
>their ferrets or they may not bring them.

And another.

>I think AFA's primary responsibility is to protect ferrets coming into the
>show hall as best we can.  If we know someone has (or had) ADV positive
>ferrets, than that person should not be allowed to bring ferrets into AFA
>shows for a certain period of time.  Seems like that's in the best
>interest of the ferrets that will be attending the show

And another.

How can you only require certain folks to provide negative status when so
much about ADV is not known?  When positive ferrets show no signs of being
ill?  Unless, of course, you have reasons for singling out folks.

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
Perth, Western Australia
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521