Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 13:19:13 -0400
Hi everyone.

As always, thanks for all the information, wisdom, advice, news, and
giggles.

Need more advice.  I have 2 middle aged ferrets, (3ish and 4ish).  Both
have either hairballs or some other partial blockage: we only have about
1/2 the amount of poop we expect daily (say 3 rather than 6
poops/day/ferret), and often some of it is thin.  There is hair in the
poop.  Both ferrets are cheerful and active, they look great and eat a
lot.  I give them vaseline as hairball remedy, a small amount once or
twice a day.  No vomiting etc., but one time i found two hairballs one
of them had passed.

Veterinarian has given contradictory advice.  One time advised continuing
this vaseline routine indefinitely.  Another time said vaseline only every
few days as it leaches vitamin B from their systems.  But when i cut it
back they seem to poop even less.  2 vets have said not to consider surgery
as long as they seem so healthy & are pooping at all.

I know some of you have advised me about this before, but i've never had
this hairball thing go on for so long before.  If you don't tell me
otherwise, i'll keep doing as I have been.

Also, how can they eat so much and poop so little?!

Uh o, gotta go, they're harassing the 40+ pound dog, who is too polite to
get them back...

thnx again,
---sharin