From:
Steve Whitcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:16:33 -0500
I was visiting out local Petco yesterday when the clerk told me they
have
2 ferrets in the back room that were dropped off for adoption.  One of
the ferrets needed some kind of 'tumor' removed when he arrived, and had
just gotten back from the vets office that morning for the surgery.  The
clerks unfortunately didn't know much detail about the type of 'tumor',
just that there was formerly a large lump on the ferrets back.

The ferrets come with a large cage and toys, so it looks like whoever
had them probably took reasonable care of them but perhaps couldn't
afford the surgery?  I can't say for certain the age of the ferrets,
although the male who just had surgery seems to be full grown, the
female is smaller, but could be full grown as I've never owned a female
before.  Also, the male has marshall tatoos but the female doesn't.

I'm considering adopting the two, though they have to live at the petco
for the next 6 weeks while the male recovers from the surgery.  I'm
concerned though about the health of the male.  He now has a shaved area
on his back near his tail end, with a string of stiches about 2 inches
long.  I've asked for contact information for the vet that performed the
surgery so I can find out more about the nature of the 'tumor'.  If it's
not something likely to reoccur, then we may take the two ferrets in.
I'm concerned though that whatever the problem was may come back or
continue, and could lead to further extensive vet bills.

Can anyone offer any advice, or any suggestions on questions to ask the
vet or other issues I should consider?

We were thinking of adding a 3rd ferret to our family, but 2 more,
especially with possible medical issues, may be more than I want to take
responsibility for.

Thanks!
Steve

P.S.  If anyone else here is interested, it's the Petco in Moline, IL.
If you can provide long term care for this friendly pair, you may want
to stop in and ask about them.