From:
Cheryl Cato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 15:40:12 -0600
I'm scared.

Bit of history: My 22 month old female had a nephrectomy at 2 months.  Her
kidney was damaged apparently as a result of a bad spay job before I got
her.  About a month ago she developed a "rat tail" - and I immediately
suspected adrenal problems.  My vet did the blood work to rule anything else
out.  The results came back unusual, in her opinion.  All of her blood work
was normal - except for her lymphocytes (sp?) and nutrafils (sp?).  She said
the differential for the two numbers was larger than normal - and they were
flip-flopped, with lymphocytes being higher than nutrafils.  She suspected
lymphosarcoma or lymphoma.  At any rate - the exploratory was today, and she
had problems.  What she suspects happened is that the left adrenal gland
shifted due to the missing kidney and the lack of the misentery (sp?) to
support it - and adhered itself to the vena cava.  She couldn't find the
right adrenal at all.  In the process of doing the (what would turn out to
be) partial adrenalectomy - she nicked the vena cava.  She says she stopped
all the bleeding and sutured it.  The adrenal she attempted to remove was
definitely enlarged (pea sized).  She didn't biopsy the liver because she
said it looked perfect.

What now?  How will I know if Binky starts to have problems with the vena
cava suture?  She won't stand a chance, will she?  And there's also the
chance that not enough of the adrenal was removed, and her problems persist.
But then again - since no biopsy was done, we're still not sure that
bloodwork showed problems that were secondary to the adrenal problems.

I'm dying..... what have I done?!

Cheryl