Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 13:40:54 EDT
Well, today we did something we knew was going to happen eventually:
We put Pele down.

She had surgery for intestinal cancer and we knew that it would kill her -
but we never had enough time with her.  She turned 6 in October and had her
first surgery in November - and then another in April.  She hadn't eaten on
her own much since that last surgery, but I didn't mind feeding her by hand
4 times a day.  She took it all.......what finally did it for me was when I
could see that she was struggling - and that no matter how long between
feedings, I could feel that her stomach was filling with tumors.  I vowed
that she would not suffer - and so this morning, Ern and I took her to the
vet for the final time.

She was so tiny....so frail....but so strong.  She fought the Iso, and it
took 4ccs of whatever it is they use to euthanise before she let go....She
joins Yod He Vawhe and Bruiser over at the Bridge and takes my personals
down to 4......Poor Dijon, sibling to Pele and Yods - she's all thats left
of the trio.

I hope that Pele knows that we were there stroking her fur as we released
her from her pain....and that she knows that we loved her very much.  She
was a tiny little girl, never much over a pound but did match her name, the
goddess of fire.  No squeak toys around Pele, she would bite you and make
you drop the toy....to the point of chasing you!  To some, a "typical MF
sable", but to us, a very special fert.  We will miss her very much.

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854