From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 19:00:05 -0800
To Tanya Coleen Smith

>hi again.  much worse today.  Canela is very depressed and unresponsive, she
>quit eating, and all she does is drink, urinate, and strain to defecate.

    Tanya - this really sounds like Canela is trying to pass a foreign body.
You may also see some foul-smelling tarry stools.  Even though the X-rays
didn't show anything obvious, I would consider an exploratory surgery based
on her clinical signs.  The heart looking round could signfiy heart disease.
If there are other radiographic signs of heart disease, like fluid buildup
in the abdomen or around the lungs, then it may be significant.  But a
ferret heart can look round if the X-ray is taken from a bad angle.

> and blood results should be back Sat afternoon.  (they gassed
>her to get blood...  i found this out afterward; i assume that's normal?)

Yes, that's the way to do it.

>this Dr.  gave me teramycin for her eyes (now gummy/watery) and oral
>antibiotic septra.  got her to eat Gerber chicken/turkey about 5 min ago.

Keep putting the Gerber chicken to her as much as she will eat.  I'm hoping
that my late reply is still helpful.  Have been in Chicago over the weekend
and am still trying to catch up....

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR