Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:23:24 -0800
About four months ago (6 weeks after I got her at age 5 months) I noticed
that my ferret, Baby, liked one of my nightgowns.  I saw her dragging it
into her bed.  She always sleeps by herself quite a bit, so I thought oh,
she can just have it.  About a week later I did their laundry (I have
five) and noticed two small cuts it.  I thought it was weird that the
washing machine had done that.  When I gave it back to her I just laid
it in the floor.  It stayed in that place.  Everybody slept on it.  She
didn't seem to care about it anymore and since it was now ruined I just
let the kids keep it.  I would wash it but I never noticed anything b/c I
would just scoop it up and then after coming out of the dryer toss it
back on the ground for them to play in while warm.

Well, about a week ago at 3:00 AM I here this weird sound.  Kinda like
teeth grinding but not quite.  Upon my investigation I find her chewing
the fabric.  No, she is EATING it!  I Now hold it up.  She has consumed
great quantities of the night gown.  At least 3/4 yard of fabric is GONE.
I panick.  Take it away tell her "NO" like it was going to do any good.
I thought maybe she just had a fondness for the fabric so I removed every
piece of anything that had that silky polyester finish feel like the
night gown was made of.  If it wasn't cotton it left the room.

Well no such luck.  My plot didn't work.  This morning I caught her
eating the crochet lace on my antique bed ruffle, all cotton.  What
can I do?  I figure she has consumed at minimum of 6X6 inch piece of
fabric every month.  I can't believe I haven't had any health problems
associated with this, knock on wood.  I checked her teeth and all seems
fine.  She is a little grey bib ferret that hears just fine.  MF now
about 10 months old.  They are free roam in a large bedroom and bathroom.
I spend at least 6 waking hours with them plus all the midnight madness,
you KNOW what I mean*LOL* She is a little scary cat at times.  Just more
alert than the others but she doesn't seem to have any trust issues as
she sleeps with mw at times.  Also, feels free to sleep in the middle of
the floor while I have to move around her.  I don't know.  Please help
with any suggestions or comments.  I feel danger lurking very nearby.

Thanks, Mary Jo