From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:41:40 -0400
>... The paramedics apparently decided that they were concerned for the
>four children because there are ferrets in the home.  Is anyone aware of
>any laws or anything that would justify their concern?  The last time I
>called the local Humane Society, they told me that ferrets were legal here
>and that there were no special laws or concerns regarding ferrets.  I will
>be calling the Humane Society asap about this.  Also, if anyone can get
>me the HSUS statement or their website (if it contains the statement)
>about ferrets being domestic pets and should be afforded the same
>rights/status/etc as cats/dogs.  Also, I could use the paper from the
>Department of Agriculture that states that ferrets are domestic animals....

What should help you the most will be: a copy of the Compendium of Animal
Rabies Control from the AVMA website:
http://www.avma.org/pubhlth/rabcont.asp .

It should print in 3 pieces.  The OH state Public Health Vet for this
should still be Kathleen Smith, 1-614-466-0283, fax 1-614-644-7740,
OH Dept of Health, 246 N. High St., POB 118, Columbus, OH 43266,
website http://www.odh.state.oh.us .
If OH ferrets has a licensing subset in the state gov't a statement from
them will be useful.