From:
Kym Zorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 02:23:53 -0400
Ye gads !  104 with a heat index of 118 in Ky today !  We have central air
conditioning, but our dinky little compressor can't keep up with the heat.
Our cages are situated close to A.C.  vents, and the wee ones have been
blissfully basking in the cool air while mom & dad swelter.  ( Of course,
we wouldn't have it any other way : )

Some tips we've found useful for this brutal heat....pardon if they seem
repetitive or obvious !

1) Close all blinds, drapes, etc.  I started a new job - split shift,
5a - 9a, 3p - 6p.  and I was shocked to learn that morning sun shines right
on one of the cages.  Having never been home during the day, I had not
noticed.  We stapled muslin over the windows for a quick fix - doing
wonders !

2) A cool, NOT cold , bath might be quite refreshing for your bitties.
Toys are always a fun addition , but I've found that my ferrets simply
enjoy the cooling properties of the water and aren't that interested in
play - just enjoy hanging out.  Keep in mind that their body temp is higher
than ours and a sudden change in temp can be very stressful, possibly
leading to shock.  If in doubt, stick with lukewarm.  Don't forget to dry
them thoroughly.

3) Pedialyte makes frozen pops !  I have found that a little bit of this
frozen treat works wonders on stressed out ferrets.  Try a little of that,
(or freeze your own ), follow with some Nutri-Cal or similar supplement, a
bath or a quick wipe down with cool towels, and your ferret will be much
more comfortable.

4) Air flow is critical.  Keep a fan on them if your A.C.  isn't doing the
job.  If it's truly awful, freeze a bottle of water and place it in the
cage.  I don't recommend gel filled ice packs - too much temptation for my
chewy ferrets.

5) Remember, if you're miserable, chances are your fuzzies are too.  Hell,
crank up the A.C., buy a fan , or make arrangements to board your ferrets.
This national heat wave is killing people.  Ask your local vet or animal
sitter if they are offering specials due to the heat.  It never hurts to
ask - perhaps you could offer some volunteer time in exchange for boarding,
etc.  Keep trying .  There are wonderful people out there that will help -
you just have to find them !

Keep cool, stay as happy as possible, and remember that this summer will be
a distant not-too-pleasant memory in the dead of winter.

Hoping for a freak cold front,
Kym and the Pampered Eight:  Stinky, Katie, Zoe, Pooh, Rikki, Bitty,
Mortimer, and Mortimee