From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 07:37:47 -0400
I don't really know what the costs of ferret spays/neuters are since I
haven't had one done in probably 7-8 years. However, more important
than cost, IMO, is what you get for that quoted price. Some vets don't
think it's necessary to give pain meds, either during or after surgery.
I strongly disagree with that, and am willing to pay more to make sure
my pet is comfortable afterwards. We all know that ferrets are masters
at hiding pain. Are antibiotics routinely given? Is a catheter inserted
and fluids administered? Does the price include pre-op bloodwork? What
sort of aftercare does this include; just a snip and go, or do they
keep the animal at least a few hours, or even overnight if necessary?
You need to ask these types of questions to see what you are getting
for your money, and to make sure your pet is getting the quality of
care that you want, and it deserves. Many lower-cost facilities cut
costs by cutting services.

Some of the things I listed above may not be necessary with a spay or
neuter; I am just trying to give you a list of questions to ask.

Personally, for peace of mind, I would always use my regular ferret
vet(s) to perform any procedure. They know my ferrets, they know me,
and I know the quality of care they provide. Equally important, my
ferrets know them and their staff. Any surgery is not the time to go
bargain hunting, IMO.

Katharine