From:
Jonathon and Jeani England <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:44:54 +0800
Hi all

Just wanted to let anyone interested know about YumYum's little adventure.
So many lost ferret stories turn out bad, that I wanted to share some
brightness.

On Sunday, when we left for church, we put the ferts in their room as
usual.  When we got home, the craziness began.  I thought my daughter had
checked on the ferts when she opened the door up, but she hadn't.  We went
all afternoon before wondering about the ferrets location.  We THOUGHT we
saw them as we relaxed, but at bedtime, no YumYum.  Tore the house
apart...no YumYum.  Woke the kids up looking for her...no YumYum.  Finally
at 3:00am in tears, we went to sleep.

Just so you know, we live in the Idaho panhandle, way out in wilderness
country.  Ya know, the type where you might see a bear come up on your
porch.  :-)

YumYum is a very small, delicate ferret.  She is not one who can go long
without food, 'cause I swear she might just disappear.  So of course I
was so very worried about her.  We searched and squeaked, (She has been
trained to a squeaky toy) all day and night long for three days.  I
cried buckets of tears, thinking I may never see my cuddle girl again.
(Yummers gives a new meaning to the term lap ferret.)

By Wednesday, I had just about given up hope.  3 days outside in this
country is unimaginable.  Everytime I went outside I strained my ears to
listen for her.  KoKo, her roomate, followed me around everywhere, and was
totally depressed.  I was getting ready for bed, just listening to the news,
when suddenly I felt a snuffle against my neck.  I thought it was KoKo, but
my DH says, "Look who finally came home."  His voice was shaking.  I turned
round and there she was... fit as a fiddle.  She was a bit skinnier, but not
much.

DH had gone to the door for a last squeak search for her, and there she was
on the doorstep, with that, "What took you so long?" look in her eye.  I
took her to bed and she slept on my chest allllll night.  She was gone
exactly three days, almost to the minute.

My ferts have escaped outside before, but not for that long.  I was a zombie
worrying about her.  We have now instigated rules and regs for ferret
checking, but with their teleportation abilities, ya just never know.  We
never did find out how she escaped.

ttjust wanted to thank everyone for the ideas that I gleaned to find a
lost ferret.  I know it is hard to write about this stuff when it is
happening, ( I couldn't even READ the list I was so upset) but your
efforts did make a difference for my baby,  Thank you.  This story had a
happy ending!!!   :->

CJ Ladybug...Handmistress to KoKo and YumYum