From:
Joy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:38:04 EST
I haven't written in a while but I just had to tell you all about my lucky
ferret Zorro.  About a month ago a rather large TV fell on him.  It didn't
exactly fall it slide from about a foot and a half up.  It was a complete
accident and I still have no idea how it happened.  My boyfriend was home
and luckly heard the noise and went to investigate.  He actually had to
pick up the TV to get him out.  But Zorro just ran off when my boyfriend
retrieved him he bite the heck out of his finger.  (Zorro never bites) I
took him to the vet only to find out that not one leg but both back legs
were broken and they couldn't tell about his spine.  My vet doesn't do
orthopedic surgery so she went on a task to find him a good doctor.  Zorro
being difficult as usual did this at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon.  So it
wasn't until Monday that she got through to anyone.  She knew of only two
really good doctors that might do it.  The first declined.  The second said
yes until he saw the x-rays.  Zorro managed to cleanly break his left leg
in the middle.  However his right leg was broken very close to the knee.
Plan B was for me to take him to a vet in Gainesville that was an
orthopedic as well as a certified in wild life and exotics.  This man was
at a semenar for the week.  The first vet agreed to look at him.  It is now
wednesday.  A very nice young doctor examined him she even had a rasin for
him.  The office didn't do much work with ferrets but her college roommate
had a ferret.  That really calmed my nerves.  Then I meet the actual
surgen.  He freely admitted to me that he had never worked on ferrets
before and didn't know much about them past the books.  However the vet who
examined him was going to be present for surgery and make all the decisions
about his care.  They took more x-rays and all he had done was broken both
legs.  He didn't even chip his pelvis or spine.  That is amazing.

I took Zorro the next morning for surgery.  They kept him overnight to make
sure everything was ok.  He has what they call external fixatures on both
legs and about four pins in each leg.  He came home with no treats left
in his bag.  When I took him back two weeks later fro his stiches to be
removed about six people came out to great him they even took him into
surgery so everyone could see him.  Now when I come in with him everyone
knows who he is and has to love him some of the techs even bring treats for
him.  He captured everyones hearts in that office and all he did was lay
there.  He gets his fixatures off in about three weeks.  He will have a
limp in his right leg but it shouldn't bother him.  He has no neurological
damage.  I have a couple of little tiny girls ferrets and I know that TV
would have killed them.  But Zorro the tough guy hasn't even moaned once.
He is truely lucky.  Love to all you and your fuzzies.  Give them all
kisses from me.

Joy Smith & Lucy, Theo, Tabitha, Zorro, Scrawny,
Pebbles, Psycho, & Albert.