From:
"R. Worthing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 07:43:51 -0500
I read the adoption policies with great interest.  It reminded me of an
experience I had finding a home for a puppy...

Several years ago, my black lab had puppies and I had placed all the
puppies in excellent homes... except one.  A woman contacted me about
adopting the last puppy and we made arrangements for me to come to her
house a few days later with the puppy.  When I arrived, the woman was
sitting on her porch which was right ON the corner of a main intersection.
Heck, there was a stoplight right there in front of her house.  I had
handed her the puppy.  There wasn't a blade of grass to be found!  This
puppy wouldn't have had a yard to play in!  When I asked her where this
puppy would play, she said she supposed she could tie it up to the front
porch!  WHen I asked what she planned to feed the puppy, she replied,
"Well, whatever is cheapest..." (*sigh*)  Then she went on to tell me that
she hadn't yet gotten her state check but when she did she'd then have to
get her mother to drive her to the store, blah, blah, blah.  This woman
had made no provisions for this puppy.  She had no way to take this puppy
to the vet in case of an emergency, she had NO yard (her "yard" was the
sidewalk), she planned to feed the puppy whatever was cheapest, she had
very small, dirty children.  It was the worst imaginable situation!
Stupidly, I had already handed her the pup.  My heart was wrenching.  I
knew I couldn't leave this puppy with her... I would die of guilt!  Even
my 6 year old daughter gave me a look like, "Oh, great Mom!  Now what??"
Thinking quickly I told the woman that I would like to hold the puppy one
more time.  She handed it back to me.  I held the puppy for a moment and
then I said, "You know what?  I can't let you have this puppy.  I am sorry.
You have had several days to make arrangements for it.  You don't have a
yard for it, you don't have your own transportation in the event of an
emergency.  You don't have the finances to feed it a healthy diet... This
just wouldn't be in the puppy's best interest."  With that, I turned around
and walked away.  My daughter burst into tears of relief!

The puppy ended up living with a very nice family on a farm.  They had lost
their previous dog to OLD AGE.

I guess the point is, that even though I am not in the "business" of
finding homes for ferrets on a regular basis, I really think it's
everyone's responsibility to find the best home possible no matter what
kind of animal it is.  The stricter the standards, the higher probability
of a permanent loving and stable home.  I don't mind the strict standards
that are upheld by ferret shelters and other animal rescues.  As guardians
of the animals, we are responsible for them while they are in our care and
we are STILL responsible for them when they are placed.

Renee