From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:26:12 -0500
Here is a URL which has a lot of links to places to find vets:
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG9044

Colds:
This recent discussion will help you:
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscussion.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=12725

As Dr. Bruce Williams, ferret expert and veterinary pathologist wrote
(Segments only below.):
>Ferrets do not get colds. Colds are due to rhinoviruses, which are
>species specific virus. Ferrets may get influenza, but not colds...
>Ferrets with upper respiratory infections should see a vet prior to
>starting on any medication...
>
>Recently on this list, we all witnessed the death of a ferret from using
>an over-the-counter cold medication, based on the errant information
>that ferrets get colds...
>
>Flus, or mild upper respiratory infections are not life-threatening in
>ferrets.  As owners, we tend to want to treat these conditions, because
>we feel sorry for the animals, but over-the-counter meds are not
>formulated for ferrets, and they contain ingredients that are of no
>benefit to ferrets, and may even be hazardous...
>
>As long as your ferret continues to eat and drink sufficiently, no
>medication is generally the best approach, and if the signs appear
>significant, then a vet visit is generally in order.

Ferrets don't get colds.  Colds are caused by a rhinovirus, short lived,
and can not be treated with antibiotics.

They do get bacterial sinus infections.  It's an important distinction
even though the two can outwardly look the same.  Bacterial sinus
infections have an increased risk of causing infection lower down the
respiratory tract, can last any length of time, can create fistulas and
other complicaitons, and are treated with antibiotics (though some
strains can be antibiotic resistant).

Ferrets can trade bacterial sinus infections or Influenza A strains back
and forth with humans.

BTW, with coughing always consider that there may be cardiomyopathy and
you want to discover that, then test for severity and treat appropriately
when it is present to give the ferret the most time.  (Coughing can also
mean things like pneumonia but the same first chest x-ray will help find
that, too.)

In your ferret's case I'd consider that something may be in the one
runnint eye or if the symptoms worsen there may be a corneal scratch
needing prompt vet care.  If an eye runs then the nose runs causing
sneezing.

Patch needs a vet appointment, and most likely a CBC with CHEMISTRY
PANEL, maybe chest imaging since untreated hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
can cause wasting.  Adrenal growths aren't my first thought for her,
though possible.  It is hard to tell degree of the symptoms from your
post so that is *IF* those are of a significant degree.

Cystine stones: A point to add to the letter sent to Bob: while it may
be that all individuals who get them have certain genetic roots to the
problem it is still unknown if that is truly the case for these ferrets.
That is why the vet school research study going on will be looking into
that aspect as well as others.  The fact still remains that it is not
known WHY there was a sudden marked increase in the numbers of cystine
stones which showed up in that urolith laboratory, so ONLY RESEARCH and
keeping an open but informed mind is the appropriate answer for all of us
for now because without good investigation by such experts we can keep
going around in circles talking about it .  With that research -- no
matter what it shows -- eventually we will KNOW.  That is what matters.
So, till then: open minds and loads of learning, but conclusions are
premature...