From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:08:08 -0500
Prayer request!  NPR reported this morning that the two American schools
in Kuwait are being closed for three weeks for the sake of Americans'
safety.  My two nieces go to one of them, my nephew goes to the other
and my sister teaches at that one.

I've been trying to get Jackie on the phone on and off for a couple of
days to urge her to come home.  The 7 or 8 hour time difference makes it
harder.  I think her kids are on the computer all the time and I don't
know their IM names.  Now all circuits to the country are busy, of
course.  No doubt with people like me calling to urge their loved ones
to get some sense and get out of there.

Before Christmas the Kuwaiti government told everyone to buy plastic
sheeting and tape to create an air-tight room in each house.  Scary and
stupid!  Even if it did work, what would they breathe?  NPR reported last
week that the Kuwaiti government was supposed to have 5 million gas masks
available... but they don't.  And that there were supposed to be shelters
available... but no one knows where they are.

When the Iraquis invaded Kuwait, Jackie and her family were happily
camping in Virginia on summer vacation.  They only had two suitcases
of clothes, and they had to live first with my mother here in PA and
then with my b-i-l's family in Oman where they had escaped across Saudi
Arabia.  I hope they have the sense not to take a chance this time.  My
b-i-l is one of the world's kindest most loving men, so that isn't a
problem.  But I'm sure there is a part of all of them that wants to stay
with their home and hope nothing happens after all.

Blessings,

Judith