From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:18:36 -0400
>I just had my Ebay ID and feedback STOLEN by someone (as well as my
>credit card number!!!) purporting to be from Ebay; I got a message that
>was "from" [log in to unmask], which is an email address I'd seen
>before from Ebay, that said my account was being suspended for bidding
>and selling privileges because Ebay couldn't verify my credit card info.
>It provided me with a link I could click to go to "Ebay's site" to
>rectify this.  Naively, I clicked on the link and did so, thus providing
>some scam artist with all my personal info, phone number, etc., credit
>card and Ebay password, and they proceeded to change my user ID, password
>and screw me.  I have reported to Ebay and my credit card co., and will
>be reporting to some sort of authority (Ebay is notoriuos for not caring
>about fraud), but please beware.

Thought you'd all be interested in my latest (yes, I'm supposed to be
away already, but various issues like this one and my car insurance junk
have kept us till today, when we'll finally leave):

7/29/03: Just wanted to let you know that with NO response from Ebay's
customer support, it appears as if I have been able to steal back my
original Ebay ID!!!  The other person must have been either scared or
thinking they were clever changing back to my original ID and email
address after I sent them an email through the auction telling them I was
on to them and so was Ebay, and b/c they then changed back to my initial
email address (I thought they might be trying to throw Ebay off), I was
able to change the password even though I didn't know what they'd changed
it to.  So I logged in and changed the password and email address
associated with the ID, and now they can't get in either!  So I think I
outsmarted them and rescued my ID and feedback!  Thought you'd like to
know!  Not that I don't want to give money to a good cause, but I wish
they hadn't caused the price to go up so rapidly on an auction I was
bidding on by stealing my ID!!  (Drove the price up over $50 in one bid
b/c I had to outbid my own proxy bid!!!) Oh, well.  I'm off on vacation!

Cheers and dooks,

April Armstrong Campbell, the REAL a2jr and now ferret_tamer, too!