From:
Chana Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 00:34:23 EDT
>I want to know what you people think about ferrets as classroom pets.
>There would be constant human contact from 7:30 until 4:00.

Personally, I think it would be a bad idea.  First of all, just because
there are people in the school from 7:30 - 4, doesn't mean the ferrets
will be getting interaction.  Most of the time the kids are in the
classroom, they'll be doing other things, and the ferrets will be lucky
to get 10 minutes of out of cage time each day.  Secondly, and of greater
concern to me, is that if the ferret nips or inadvertantly scratches one
of the students, even the tiniest of marks, WHAM!  The parent, the
school, and whatever authorities rule in your state will insist that it
has to be put down.

I volunteer in our school's kindergarten, and they want me to bring in
a ferret to show the kids, but I would not let my ferrets stay there
long-term -- even though I wish I had more time to be with them during
the day.

Take care,
Chana