From:
Melanee Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:07:38 -0800
Last night was one of the worst nights of my life!  I went into the ferret
room to get BooBoo (he has lymphoma, so I feed him duck soup twice a day)
and he was just laying in the bottom of the cage.  I picked him up and he
swung his head around like he was dizzy or something.  I thought he had an
insulinoma attack, so I grabbed him and got some Karo syrup to rub on his
gums.  I wrapped him in a towel and called the vet.  She said to keep
up with the Karo and feed him duck soup.  Additionally, we upped his
Prednisone dose to 1.5 ml.  I took him to the vet this morning and she said
that he definitely had a stroke.  The left side of his face doesn't move;
his head tilts to the left; his left paws don't move as well as his right
paws.  This morning he is doing better and the vet says that many animals
come through strokes pretty well.  When I went to the vet this morning, I
had already decided that it was time to put BooBoo to sleep.  After talking
to the vet, though, I decided to wait until BooBoo really gives it up.
Right now he seems to be still fighting and he does want to wander around
and he tries to play.

Has anyone else had to deal with a stroke in their ferrets?  How did it go
for you.  I know that BooBoo doesn't have much time left, maybe a couple of
weeks, but it is a couple more weeks than I thought he had last night!

Hug your fuzzies!

Melanee Ellis
Juneau, AK