From:
Rebecca Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:50:23 +0100
Well, Jitterbug finally has a little sister - although I'm not sure how
thrilled SHE is about the whole thing.  I decided I couldn't wait any longer
for an available adoptee so I went out and bought a beautiful very black
sable girl.  I had taken Jitterbug with me to the pet store to help pick one
out and after the subway and two trains she was exhausted.  She plopped down
on the floor, had two kits crawling all over her and just looked up at me
like "please mommy get them off of me".  Undeterred, I picked out a
beautiful little kit (no name yet) and put them together in a new cage (I
decided I needed a small one for traveling) and took them home.  Jitterbug's
cage at home is carpeted and she didn't like the wire floor of the new cage
so she took the opportunity to sleep on top of her new little sister (who
actually didn't seem to mind.

***You'll never believe this but there hasn't been ANY assertion of
dominance by either Jitterbug or her little sister.  Neither one tried to
bite the other one's neck!!!  Jitterbug has pretty much ignored the new kit,
other than a brief sniffing inspection.  And the new kit has just been
amazed by her new home and has not yet tried to play with Jitterbug.  I am
hoping that after a brief adjustment period they will soon become best
friends, but for now I'm just happy they aren't fighting at all.

My new kit is so friendly it's wonderful.  She'll sleep on my lap (which
Jitterbug will never do) and she talks A LOT!(dook, dook, dook, all day
long).  I wanted to sleep with her last night, but after about an hour of me
and my SO lying in bed afraid to accidentally roll over and squish her (she
was lying across my neck) my SO put his foot down and told me she had to go
back in the cage.  She's quite a messy eater and loves to fling her soggy
food all over (stepping in the dish) and then covering me with Iams (I
needed a bath after about 2 minutes).  I wanted to bathe her too, but I
don't know how old they have to be before they get their first bath.  Any
suggestions would be VERY welcomed.  Also, she seems to think the litterpan
is a sandbox to be rolled in , jumped in, and stick her face all the way
under in.  Last night she pooped right next to her food dish and then curled
up right next to the litterbox to go to sleep!  (She has a nice soft towel
on the other side of the cage AND a hammock.) I didn't put her in Jitterbugs
cage for the night because it has so many levels and she can't seem to get
from floor to floor (the bathroom is on the lowest level).  So this morning
I decided to put Jitterbug in the kits cage so they could spend some time
together, but Jitterbug didn't seem to like that very much (she's used to
much larger quarters).  I could hardly bring myself to come to work this
morning and leave my little kit and home!  Well, I better stop rambling I
sound like a new mom or something ;).

Dooks to all,

Rebecca
Jitterbug (mom, I changed my mind about this new sister thing, can you
           take her back please?
 & the new kit on the block!  (why can't I poop and play in the same
       spot?  Hey this life thing is pretty cool, Jitterbug why don't
       you step on my head again that was fun)