Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 04:45:09 -0400
>From:    Ailigh <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ADV information
>
>... In September we had to say goodbye to our little Minx who was
>diagnosed with ADV the February prior.  She did very well until late
>August then tumbled downhill until we had to make the decision to let
>her go.... About 2 weeks later, out little Mouse died suddenly and after
>a necropsy we found out she had a heart attack - and NO signs of ADV.
>Minx was confirmed through a necropsy.  Initially we presumed that the
>remaining ferrets in our home would be ADV positive as everything I read
>tells me it is very contagious, so we didn't test them.  When Mouse died
>and she had no signs of ADV, we decided to test the rest.  Eventually (2
>weeks ago) we used the Avecon test and got back 4 negatives.  Should we
>be happy or should we not believe the tests?  While the rest shown no
>signs of ADV I know I can't take that at face value.  I read about false
>positives, but not negatives and ALL tested negative?  The only reason
>it really matters to us is that we would like to add another to our
>business as we lost both females....

I am also having the same problem.  Two years ago, I my Sugar Magnolia
crossed the bridge for an unknown reason.  I did not have a necropsy done
because she had problems with her bowels when I adopted her from the
shelter.  My vet and I assumed her death stemmed from that.  A few months
later, my wonderful vet called me after attending a conference on ADV.
He suggested that I ge the remaining three tested.  One out of three
tested positive.

Six months after my Maggie died, my Sunshine Daydream started having
problems.  We tested for ADV three times until he lost his battle and
crossed the bridge.  Six months after that I lost my Newton.  He's the
only one who tested positive.

I have one left, Delia.  Delia has never been without another ferret to
play with in six years.  I know she's as heartbroken as I am after losing
her three fuzzy friends in a year and a half.  She's starting to come out
of her depression.  She's playing more.  I too would love to get her a
playmate.  My vet recommended testing Delia again three months after
Newton died.  It's been four and she hasn't been sick yet.

I would like to adopt an older ferret.  Delia is about seven years old.
I adopted her when her owners left her at a pet store, so I'm not really
sure of her age.  The pet store and vet estimated her age at 11 mos.
when I got her.  Will a shelter let me adopt if ADV has been in the
house?  I've bleached or thrown away anything the other ferrets had had
contact with.

Good luck and God bless you and your fuzzies,
Laura
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind (Gandhi).