From:
Robert Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:40:02 -0700
A couple of thoughts on the 'impounded' ferrets.

1. The nations largest refrigerated trucking firm is located in Salt Lake
City.  It is C.R.  England (I drove for them for three years) They have a
"no pet" policy in their trucks but, the Englands (family name) are really
nice people.  Three people run the company (father and two sons) and if
enough people called them asking if they would authorize transport of
these ferrets I think they'd agree (hesitantly) with those drivers who
are willing.  This family is very civic minded and has a strong sense of
fairness.  If you do call, ask for Dan England or Gene England.  They have
the capability of 'on the spot' decisions.  All England trucks are equipped
with Qual-comm computers for instant communications with their dispatch
operations and if the Englands agree would provide some instant help.

2. DO NOT bring other matters into this matter.  If we spread our
concentration into other things we will come off looking like a bunch of
radicals and simply be ignored.  We learned through Kodo that you MUST
CONCENTRATE on one issue only, in this case saving those 200+ ferrets.

3. Two other large trucking firms are based in Salt Lake, it may be worth
a try to call them and ask for help also.  SWIFT and Dick Simon trucking
(with the skunk on the truck?).  All are civic minded and looking to change
the truckers image throughout America.  Play that aspect up.  It can't
hurt.  If memory serves me correctly, Schneider Trucking and J.B. Hunt
also have terminals in SLC so give them a try.  I've already called them
but the more who call the more of an issue and the better the public
relations for the company.

When contacting these trucking firms, play the publicity aspect up to them.
Let them know there may be NATIONAL media coverage and if they can/will
help you will do your best to see they get at least a mention of their
efforts.

Hope this can give some help in transporting as needed.

Bob -n- Kathy