From:
SIMONETTI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 19:05:23 -0600
There were several people who asked for this and unfortuneately, I
accidently earased some of those people.  I apologise for the length but
here it is.

-Stephen Biesty's Castle (crossection) is a picture book by Scholastic Books
published in 1994. Any book or educational book store would be able to order
this for you. It shows on (my book at least) page 23 a picture of a ferret
kennel. It is a tiny picture and all it says is "Ferret Kennel". I thought
there was more to it than that, since it has been a while since I last read
it. But at least it shows how one was set up.

-"Ferrets: A Complete Owner's Manual" by Chuck and Fox Morton published by
Barron's is good as well.  Page 61 Quotes:
"Ferrets were first domesticated by the Egyptians in 3000BC Most historians
belive that the Crusaders from the 10th century to the 12 century introduced
the working ferret to Europe." ...
"Ferrets have been in the United States for over 300 years.  They were used
in the 1800's as rodent control.  The "ferret master" would come with his
ferrets and to a farm or grainery and set his ferrets loose..."

-On page 63
"There are no wild ferret colonies anywhere in the world."
This is regarding the misconeption that if left in the wild they will breed
like rabbits. They will not since most ferrets have no hunting instinct left
in them although some do but this will not insure their surival in the wild.

-Also another good book is
"The Complete Book of Ferrets" by Val Porter and Nicholas Brown
Pelham Books and Stephen Green Press

This wonderful book shows a tapestry from 1325 showing women ferreting
(hunting rabbits) (page 8)
"...After the Norman Conquest there are definite written and pictoral
records of ferrets in Britain"
They mention that historians have debated over weather or not the Romans
brought them to Britain when they conquered that country, but they say with
*very* much certainty that they were there after the Norman Conquest
(1066 AD)

-Queen Elizabeth the First had a pet ferret:)
On page 11 they show a painting of Queen Elizabeth I with a white ferret at
her side as she reaches to pet it.
IMO, The Val Porter book and the Chuck and Fox Morton books are the best to
buy and quote from.  Also if you want to there is a medieval listserv that
could provide you with ferrets in history resources. It is worth it to sub
for 1 or 2 weeks in digest form and allow them to answer your questions.
Send this command to [log in to unmask]

list global/medieval

pick the one listed "mediev-l" in the left hand column. and send this
command back to [log in to unmask] *NOT* the listserv@listserv one
although you may try it. (it did not work for me that last time with that
address. I am no longer on that list.)

You will have to reply to a confirmation request message which is no big
deal. Then you can set your mail to digest. I assure you, they will provide
you with valuable resources for Ferret History. I hope that Helps:)

There are 2 other books out there which have given the same info I just
quoted. If you want the two other titles mail me again and I will give them
to you. I highly reccomend all on this list.

Selena Simonetti and "?"
"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."--ASH (Bruce Campbell,
"Army of Darkness")

[Moderator's note: It's a great idea, Selena, but I don't see any such list
at psuvm.  The list might have moved elsewhere.  BIG]