From:
furmania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:27:21 -0400
Greetings FML Readers,

I need some input and additional information about a product.  Totally
Ferret has a recent new product advertised in the November/December 2003
issue of "Ferrets' magazine.  The product is called Totally Ferret Liquid
Filled Ferret Oil Swabs.

As I have a older female ferret who will only consume duck soup these
days, the plaque build up is overwhelming.  After having her teeth scaled
and polished, within three to four months there is enough plaque build up
again as though she never had them cleaned.  My concern is she is over
five years old and I shudder to think how her little body would react to
anesthesia having he teeth cleaned twice per year at this age.

The impression I get from this product is that will would help retard the
build up of plaque and destroy bacteria in the mouth thereby reducing the
chance of gum disease or gingivitis.

I called Totally Ferret and asked what ingredients were in the swabs.
I was told Neem oil, parsley seed oil, ascorbic acid and chlorophyll.
There are 24 swabs per package and suggested retail price is $8.99 -
$9.99.  Neem oil is from the Neem tree native to Pakistan and India.  I
was informed this oil has the following: antifungal, antiviral and
anti-inflammatory properties.

I did some research of Neem Oil on the internet.  I called a couple of
companies that sell Neem oil and Neem extract.  They stated they wouldn't
recommend using straight Neem oil on ferret's teeth and gums.  Does
anyone have additional information or thoughts they wish to share in this
forum regarding this product or using Neem tree products?  BTW, my little
girl refuses to have her teeth brushed so that it out of the question as
she is one tough dame!