From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:27:33 -0400
Twice in 10 days is too hard to bear.

Bev got the call from a local pet shop just after lunch yesterday.  They had
two ferrets that were not doing well, 6 month old cinnamons, male and
female.  They were in an aquarium with pine shavings.  The hob was thin and
dehydrated, but not in immediate danger.  But as soon as she picked up the
female, Bev knew the little jill was in trouble.  Her body was cold, she was
all skin and bones.

Bev sat on the floor of the shop and gave her some duck soup, then took her
straight to the vet.  "I have an emergency" she told the receptionist.  "I
need to see Dr. Turner immediately." The vet responded with alacrity.  He
gave the ferret subcutaneous fluids 3 times during the afternoon,
administered various med and ran several tests.  Bev and the vet agreed she
should take the little girl home for the night so she could be fed around
the clock.  They made arrangements to bring her back in the morning with one
of Bev's big males for a blood donor if needed.

But despite best efforts, the little jill died at about 9:15 pm.

We named her Lucie, and buried her next to Sydney, under the redbud tree.

We named her brother Lucky, and he seems to be doing better, eating a little
duck soup, and munching on a few pieces of food. We will try to find him a
cagemate so he won't be too lonely. Perhaps Bonnie, who recently lost her
Clyde.

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html