From:
Mini Tafoya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 12:17:01 EST
Hello,
I felt I needed to share this, if nothing else to show how uninformed many
people are including vets.  This is a funny and yet very sad story that
happened just a few days ago in Albuquerque NM.

On Monday I received a call from a vet associated with the county animal
services.  I was asked if I knew of any breeders in the east mountain
area of Albuquerque.  Suposenly two baby ferrets were found on some man's
property and seized by animal services.  After talking to the vet at county
for a long time, I was encouraged to take a look at these so called baby
ferrets.  I was warned since they are not available for public view, that I
may or may not get to see them but should try.  l was also told, that one
of the babies had bitten a little boy, and was under quarantine for 10
days, but the other one would be able to be placed within 4 days.  I called
one of the two other gals involved in our rescue and talked to her for
awhile, and she agreed to go with me.

The next morning we got there within minutes of them opening.  After we
were given the run arounds from personnal, we talked to the kennel
supervisor.  She invited us to the back to take a look at these ferret
babies, we couldn't believe it, since I had been told that they were not
available for public view at this point.  Once we got a look at these
little creatures, we knew they were not Ferrets.  However, we could not
identify them either.  After talking to the kennel supervisor in some
length, she told us how their vet had also identified them as Ferrets.
That is the sad part of this story...

Both Jodi and I have tried unsuccessfully to identify these little
creatures.  Their distinct facial masks should be a clue to what they are.
Both Jodi and I agree they are in the wiesel family, very distinct black
and white facial markings, body type long and slender with med brown short
hair fur, orange on belly, slender med length legs, black tip on the tail.
I would guess these creatures to be anywhere from 7-12 weeks old.  4-6 inch
tail again not bushy but short haired.  Both Jodi and i went to the net
looking for info, and came up empty handed.  I even went as far and called
game and fish and talked to an officer, and he was of no help.  He also
went down the next day and identified them as long tail wiesels...wow...we
knew that much...but that still doesn't identify them.

According to NM law...they were put down, since one was a bite case.  Jodi
tried to help these little creatures..but was not able to do anything.
she even got her vet to call and he had agreed to take them if they would
release them to him.

I know if we would of said that they were ferrets their lives could of been
spared...

What gets to me the most..is two vets identified these creatures as
Ferrets... yes i know we are in backwoods of NM..but come on
guys...education level has to be the same.  We did leave a good impression
with west side animal services, as they agreed to call us if anything like
this comes up again.

Also I have been working with the county for over a yr now, and it looks
like they are paying attention to me, as they did call me.

Now can anyone help ID these creatures???
any help is greatly appreciated...

Mini Tafoya
Ferrets "R" Fun shelter and rescue
Albuquerque, NM