Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:24:43 -0500
I'm working on an emergency animal handling manual for our local
emergency animal response team in our county. This will be a half page
information sheet on types of domestic animals and what they require.
Obviously in an emergency we won't have the comforts of home supplies
but we should have the basics. In Katrina ferrets were given rabbit
food and housed with rabbits. We want to avoid that incorrect care for
all animals in our handbook.

I could really use help with animals other than ferrets. I'll include
here what I have for ferrets so you can see the categories and if
anyone has other types of animals please let me know what should be
included in their sections (birds, snakes, lizards, rabbits, guinea
pigs, rats, iguana, etc.). Please email me directly at [log in to unmask]
with your comments. Remember, basics, short and sweet.

Type: Ferret (Carnivore)

Food: Cat/kitten and ferret food mixture, ferretvite, nutrical,
ferretone, linatone

Containment: Cage equipped with food, water, litter box or newspaper or
paper towels.

Bedding: Blankets, Old warm shirts. Ferrets are temperature sensitive
(heat and cold).

Handling: Gently. Keep away from face. Can be cradled in arms or
scruffed (held by fur behind neck) with hand support for bottom end.
Most ferrets are friendly. All animals may bite in times of stress. If
bitten don't jerk away, gently remove body part from mouth and place
ferret in cage. Wash wound with soap and water. Because ferrets are
house and cage pets rabies is not readily a concern. Ferrets can be
vaccinated with Imrab rabies vaccine for ferrets.

Cautions: Ferrets are susceptible to canine distemper and it is 100%
deadly in ferrets. Vaccinate with Galaxy D. House separately from dogs
whenever possible. Flea infestation can cause severe to deadly anemia.
Bathe in warm soapy water if infested. Treat with Advantage, 1 drop on
the back of the neck.

Comments: Ferrets may not eat different kibble than what they are use
to eating. Try moistening with warm water and adding a little cream.
Ferrets are prone to illness. Insulinoma (not contagious) is low
blood sugar and can lead to seizures. Watch for staring, salivating,
wobbling, seizures. Treat with 1-3 cc's of honey mixed with turkey baby
food and 0.3 Prednisilone liquid twice daily. Bald ferrets may have
adrenal disease. Monitor males to make sure they are urinating.
Treatment is 1mg melatonin mixed with ferretone each evening or
surgery.

Thanks! tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org