From:
Lonny Eachus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:45:46 -0800
Quote:
>Yes, I've heard 1 drop & 1 cat tube. When we figured it out
>by weight, it's .0125cc of 120mg/cc & .05 cc of 60mg/cc.

Please be careful. Calculating dosages for small animals can be
difficult.

For example, 1 drop would be about 3 to 5 times your 0.0125cc dose,
since a standard dropper (according to United States Pharmacopeia)
produces drops of about 0.050 mL (from 0.045 to 0.055), or to put
it another way, about 20 drops per mL.

1 milliliter (mL) = 1cc. They are two different names for the same
thing.

Usually medicine is prescribed by weight. That is, so many mg of
medicine per kg of body weight.

So generally, the trick is to figure out how much to give per pound
of animal, then multiply that by your animal's weight in pounds.

The average adult cat (splitting the difference between male and
female) is somewhere around 7.5 - 11 pounds.

An average ferret (again splitting male-female difference) is between
2 and 4 pounds.

So if dosage by body weight is the same for both animals, an average
ferret needs about 1/4 to 1/3 as much medicine as an average cat.

Lonny Eachus