From:
"Gustafson, Barb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:03:34 -0600
Last night the phone rings and the call display shows its one of our
newest members.  I almost didn't answer because I'm right in the middle
of watching "Big Brother" and I just have to see who is going to win the
"Power of Veto" competition.  Okay, okay....I admit it....I'm hooked on
reality TV.....I'm so excited the new season of Survivor starts next
Thursday....its my favorite...did you see the last one where.....oh...oh
right....back to the story....anyway in hindsight I'm glad I did pick up
the call because you will not believe the story she told me.

>On Wednesday night this members daughter took her two ferrets, Scooter
>and Nanook, outside for a bit of fresh air and playtime.  The ferrets,
>doing what ferrets do best, were happily digging away in the dirt when
>suddenly.......all hell broke loose!
>
>>At this point in the conversation I'm expecting to hear that they
>unearthed a mole or a prairie dog or something.....but no....no the
>reality was far worse...these two industrious little dirt movers had dug
>their way right into the middle of an underground hornets nest...and of
>course hornets, doing what hornets do best when their home has been
>broken into, ATTACKED!

This member, busy at the time in the house, had no idea of what was going
on until the screaming started.  She tears outside only to see her
daughter running towards her dragging two ferrets and waving her hands
frantically in the air.  She can see the bites on all of them and knows
in an instant what has happened.  Quickly checking everyone over she sees
that Scooter is in the worst shape....she is completely limp and
whimpering.

By now our member is hyperventilating but she manages to keep her wits
about her enough to know that medical attention is needed and NOW.  She
shouts out to her neighbour, who had also heard the screaming and has run
out, to call the vets and the doctor and tell them she is on her way.
She bundles everyone into the car and races off to the Vets where she
screeches to a halt and grabbing the ferrets, runs inside yelling,
THEY'VE BEEN STUNG....HELP THEM....I'VE GOT TO GET MY DAUGHTER TO THE
DOCTORS....and then takes off.

>At the doctor's her daughter, who had been stung 15 times, receives an
>antihistamine and some steroid's.  At the vets Scooter and Nanook receive
>some antihistamine and some steroid's.   When our member returns to the
>vets and hears this she says "Well if I'd known that I would have just
>had you treat my daughter too!".  Scooter has had to have 50 stingers
>removed and Nanook 28.  She is told that if she had taken the extra time
>to drive the extra distance to the Emergency vets Scooter would not have
>survived.
>
>On Wednesday night Scooter and Nanook were bloody, swollen beyond belief
>and in extreme pain.   On Thursday night the swelling is now gone, the
>pain is just a nagging reminder and Scooter and Nanook are playing
>happily and taking advantage of the extra treats being handed out.
>
>A horrific story with a happily ever after ending....well at least until
>next time!  We all know what FERRETS are like.

After hearing that all was well I did have to laugh when this member said
"I just had to phone you...I knew you would understand....when I told my
friends this story they only cared about how my daughter was doing....
they never ever asked about the ferrets!

Barb Gustafson
Alberta Ferret Society
President