From:
Steve and Becky McMall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 08:34:41 -0500
I mostly lurk, but read the FML daily.  For some odd reason (extra time
because it is a Sunday morning?), I felt compelled to post responses to a
few:

>Georgia - the left coast one...
>PS: Our SOS bumper stickers were printed by the 15 Ferrets of Kennesaw
>Graphics, Kennesaw, Georgia (the state)

Could the Kennesaws or Georgia contact me with info on how to contact these
people?  I, too, have printing that I need to have done and would rather a
ferret person do it.

>From:    Stan Siatkowski
>Subject: Sticking out his tongue
>One of our older ferrets, Stash, did a weird thing today.  I was playing
>with him, and he suddenly pawed at the top of his mouth (inside), then
>stuck his tongue out about 1/2 half inch and left it there.

I am not a vet, but the pawing of the mouth can certainly indicate nausea
or upset stomach.

>from:    Sukie
>subject: insulinomae; home news; useful eating tips; PVs
>anyway, while we were there the vet (Joe Martins at Basking Ridge Animal
>hospital) specifically asked what we were giving as treats.

Sukie, you commented that high carb treats could lead to insulinoma.  I
believe that high carb also means high sugar, right (I'm not a nutritionist
either).

My husband and I feel that a daily treat of small amounts of fruit, such
as grapes and watermelon contributed to insulinoma in our two that died of
related complications last fall.  Now, we limit such treats to once a week
or so.

>BTW, things like A/D should be encouraged as treats

Thanks for the reminder!  Bear and Scamper, the two I mentioned above that
died, absolutely hated duck soup because they had never had it before, but
our new kits loved it.  Part of imprinting, I suppose.

>We actually used the one year guarantee at PV when Helix died of JL

What is JL?

>From:    Linda
>She thought first that she might have ECE(shudder the thought) but the
>culture came back neg.  (SNIP)  We have the BEST Vet, asfar as we are
>concerned, in the country.  We follow Dr. K's advice/instructions to the
>letter.

I have already said that I am not a vet, but I am pretty certain that there
is not a test for ECE.  We use a Dr. K too, in Arlington.....if this is
your doctor, we agree wholeheartedly, he is an excellent ferret vet.  What
he did for our babies, was checked the stool sample under a microscope.....
even when poop doesn't look green, under magnification, "flourescent" green
particles will show up.

>From:    Scott Sinclair <
>or 1/4 inch sheet lexan... look under PLASTICS in your phone book.  DO NOT
>buy sheeting made out of Acrylic Plastic

I am a sign painter and have a bit of dealing with lexan and plexiglass.
Of course, I could be mistaken but I believe that Lexan is actually a brand
name of acrylic sheeting.  It is the plexiglass that will become brittle
and yellow with age and exposure to the sun.  Acrylic sheeting is treated
with a "sunscreen" so that it lasts longer.  It is considerable more
expensive than plexiglass.

Thanks to Troy Lynn for the bargains4pets site.  I picked up a coupon for
Pets.com and got a 5 lb bag of Totally Ferret (couldn't figure out how to
go thru igive, so I ordered, then went thru the igive site, and emailed the
order info afterward) for only $6.94 including shipping.  Paid for it with
frustration though.  Pets.com is no longer set up for telephone orders,
and if you start to register, then back out, it can really mess you up.
Anyway, it took over 45 minutes to order, then turned out that the order
never showed up and had to reorder.  Be my luck that it orders twice after
all, but as long as I get the $15 off of $15 twice, that will be fine.

Hope all of you have healthy, happy fuzzies.
Becky, Steve and four fuzzy faces