Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 22:22:15 -0400
The article I referred to is called "Critter Crackdown Has No Bite" in
the Mon.  June 23, NYDaily News.  Maybe you can read it online at
www.nydailynews.com.  Letters to the editor can be faxed to 212-210-1505,
or emailed to [log in to unmask]
They ask for a signature, street address and daytime phone number.  I
personally would be reluctant to give my name.

Basically the article says that the law is NOT being enforced.  In 2000,
five violations were written for a cow, some bees, a ferret, a monkey
and a serval (wild cat).  They also said that more exotics are brought to
the ASPCA (when they become unmanageable ) than are confiscated.  I just
didn't like lumping ferrets in with true exotic, non domesticated animals
that come from other countries.  This whole prarie dog thing is opening
up a can of worms.  I'm sure that's what precipitated this article.

I think we should bomb them with letters, but it would be especially
great if experts like BOB CHURCH could write to them about ferrets.  (No
pressure, Bob, I just think it would be good if someone with credentials
could inform them.)

Rocky is sad that he can't go in the hallway anymore and say hi to
the neighbors and sniff their feet and packages.  I wish I had never
introduced him to everyone.  Now I feel vulnerable.  You never know in
NYC who's going to try to get you kicked out so they can get your apt.
for a friend.  It already happened once a few years ago.  (Not about
ferrets.) The animal lovers in the bldg always ask about him.

Hope everyone's furkids are well.  They're so precious.

Shron & Rocky